Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Mexican told me that I looked like a Mexican.

He said he thought I was a Mexican because of my facial hair and -- and this is the fucked up part -- because I was standing on the side of the road. Roberto was my second illegal immigrant driver (one more in the state of Texas and I win a free taco!)

 Ok, that was messed up...

After recuperating in Huntsville for almost a week with my high school friend from the Dominican Republic, I hit the road again on a week-long journey to Loveland, Colorado! Seeing Aida again was really great! She was so easy to talk to and definitely gave me the full Huntsville experience. She took me to a dance club called Shenanigans that felt very Texan. First the place was filled with cowboys and cowgirls (all ready to party). When Copperhead Road, a famous country song by Steve Earle played nearly everyone in the club rushed to the dance floor to do the Copperhead Road line dance. The energy in the room was amazing, and now I can't listen to that song without hear the chorus of hundreds of boots stomping in unison!

I spent almost a week in Huntsville, but the time flew by so quickly that it all feels like I just arrived yesterday. Thanks again, Aida, and I hope to see you again soon!

I left Aida's apartment by 11:20 (a late start) and began to walk to the highway. Two miles later I was there, but Texas is filled with annoying side roads that run parallel to the interstate. I had to walk another mile or so just to get to a decent entrance ramp. I waited three hours, taking a break for lunch at McDonald's, before getting picked up by Roberto.

He was going to Dallas, but he went out of his way to take me to my CouchSurfing host's place in Arlington, TX. I made it to my destination in a single shot :)

On the road he told me his story. Unlike my first illegal immigrant driver who crossed the desert into Arizona (passing dead bodies as he went), Roberto paid a coyote to take him across. He was a very resourceful man and his English was excellent despite coming into the United States without speaking a word of it or taking any classes. I was amazed that he sped on the highway, up to 90 miles per hour in a 75 zone, but he would slam on the brakes whenever he spotted a cop or his radar detector started to beep. We talked about Mexico, life in the U.S., women, and sometimes we just sat there in silence (without it being awkward in the slightest!). So far my Latino drivers (legal immigrants and illegal alike), have been some of the easiest to talk to. Or not talk to if all I wanted to do was stare at the country passing outside the vehicle.

I'm currently here in Arlington with a CouchSurfing host who has THE softest toilet paper. We've been playing Mario Kart, watching movies, drinking beer, and just kickin it! And yes, Angeline, I do kind of wish we built a fort and watched Lord of the Rings, he's that kind of guy.

Tomorrow Midland, Texas, then El Paso, then North to Santa Fe, New Mexico and Loveland, Colorado to see my friend Emily!

Signin out!

Texas...

No comments:

Post a Comment